Who Am I?

My photo
I'm a designer of different types. I am a Metalsmithing major with a Photography and Graphic Design background. I also design haunted houses and props for America's Screampark, Frightworld. I play bass in a band called Thrown to the Wolves, too.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Contemporary Shaman Mask of the Beast

Today I picked up my slab of stone from Sculpture Supply Canada in Toronto. This is one of the (if not the only) supply store in the greater Northest (Southeast for the Canadians) that offers the more exotic alabasters. The only other choices were really New Mexico and Colorodo, and the shipping for a 50 lbs chunk of stone is about $100, so not really in the range of my grant.

This piece is being done thanks to a small creativity grant from Buffalo State College's research foundation. So thanks to them, I can make a cool piece out of metal and stone.



This is an image of my original design for the Contemporary Shaman Mask of the Beast. This one is sculpted out of clay, and was to be cast in resin. However, I think the organic nature of the stone would be best fit for this design. It has a hinged lower jaw allowing the wearer to control it.




So there you have it. A lot of work ahead of me this week. But I will say: The folks over at Sculpture Supply Canada are great people. Very knowledgable and kind. So if you're ever in Toronto, they are a place to stop by and see. They have a bronze foundry, too.



See you space cowboy....

No comments:

Post a Comment