Who Am I?

My photo
I'm a designer of different types. I am a Metalsmithing major with a Photography and Graphic Design background. I also design haunted houses and props for America's Screampark, Frightworld. I play bass in a band called Thrown to the Wolves, too.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Hunt for Inspiration

So I've been looking around at some inspiration for my mask ventures. I really enjoy making masks, but have a hard time coming up with ideas for them.

Well, since I'm so into the whole Steampunk thing, I started there. Generally speaking, Steampunk masks are based on two things: goggles and gas masks. Right now, so soon after my monocle, these two things don't seem so appealing to me. But here's some pictures anyway.



Those, right now, are not my goal. So in my struggles for ideas, I decided to trace back those roots a bit. Steampunk is the combination of fantastical, industrial, steam-powered machines with the beauty and elegance of the Victorian era. Obviously, those previous masks are much more on the industrial side. However, I decided to look at the Victorian side of masks. We've all seen the masquerade styles, which are pure influence of Victorian masks. These masks allowed for prominate social figures to have relative anonymity.




Two pictures of Victorian masks caught my attention. Pay particular attention to the depth and peircings. They are obviously doable in metal.









See you space cowboy....

No comments:

Post a Comment