Who Am I?

My photo
I'm a designer of different types. I am a Metalsmithing major with a Photography and Graphic Design background. I also design haunted houses and props for America's Screampark, Frightworld. I play bass in a band called Thrown to the Wolves, too.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Corrosion

Well I spent the day today attempting to make natural, desert-like corrosion to a raised copper bowl. This task sounds simple, but isn't...At all. Most of our corrosives are done in techniques and methods that we've learned to make controlled bites. However, accidental and natural seems to be harder to accomplish when done on purpose. But I made a valiant attempt.




Here's a picture of the attempt:









How I did it:

I covered the bowl with my resist of choice (nailpolish), then did a quick contained sandblast (containt the blast with a tupperwear container with a hole as to not contaminate the sand with nailpolish). This removed sand-like absrasions in the nailpolish. I then did a Ferric Chloride etch for about 90 minutes into the surface. I then cleaned off the nailpolish, and tocuhed up with a bit more sandblasting. Just a bit though, and an uneven job at that.

The sad part is that the vessel was pretty well planished. But oh well, that's art.

This vessel will be the base of the Memento Mori Maximum.


See you space cowboy....

No comments:

Post a Comment