Who Am I?

My photo
I'm a designer of different types. I am a Metalsmithing major with a Photography and Graphic Design background. I also design haunted houses and props for America's Screampark, Frightworld. I play bass in a band called Thrown to the Wolves, too.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Alloys and Ankhs

So I have been playing with alloys lately. With my playing has been a load of research and math, but I decided to cast a single piece in every alloy. Here they are: The Alloyed Ankhs!





Because of what this symbol means to me, each alloy is an individual piece. The reason that I originally designed and created this piece was because I never felt as if I belonged in any group. Throughout my life, I struggled with social settings and situations. However, I found one place where I fit in and where I mattered: Frightworld. Frightworld became my home, and my co-workers my family. I designed this piece to give to people close to me at Frightworld. They were cast from brass and given to people that I greatly respected. I then cast multiples in Sterling Silver to share with the rest of the world, and make everyone my family. This piece is actually so important to me that I had it affixed to my body in a tattoo.





So the pieces are all given a name based on the alloy. These are the names from left to right of the picture above.





The Steampunk Pharaoh's Ankh (Sterling Silver), The Frightworld Pharaoh's Ankh (Jeweler's Brass), The True Pharaoh's Ankh (Custom Brass Alloy), The One Pharaoh's Ankh (Shibu-Ichi), The Divine Pharaoh's Ankh (Tumbaga). The reason that Jeweler's brass was used for the ones given out was purely because brass reflected the Egyptian gold the most. The custom brass alloy, the Shibu-Ichi, and the Tumbaga were all mixed and poured by me.




See you space cowboy...

No comments:

Post a Comment