Who Am I?

My photo
I'm a designer of different types. I am a Metalsmithing major with a Photography and Graphic Design background. I also design haunted houses and props for America's Screampark, Frightworld. I play bass in a band called Thrown to the Wolves, too.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Frightworld Artwork

I decided to show some processes that I've been using at Frightworld to help everyone out a bit. These are techniques that could easily add some improved scenery to any gallery show, sales booth, or maybe even runway show.



This technique is a sign-making technique that is very simple to master. We started with a block of a Buff State Favorite; pink foam. Different techniques can be used and adjusted to get different effects, but this one is pretty simple and basic. The block of foam was routed out with an electric drill around letters that were traced in. The letters (spelling Paramedic) and the cross then popped out of the foam. To texturize the foam, I splashed a small amount of acetone (nail polish remover for those that don't know) on the foam. This eats away at a little bit of foam, causing it to gain a rock texture.


I then painted the sign with white latex paint. This gives it a solid base coat that protects it from major damage. I then airbrushed it with acrylic airbrush paint. The red letters are blacklight-responsive to give it a powerful glow. Eventually, the sign was given a wooden frame to make it look better as well as strengthen it.

Ultimately, this tecnhique comes down primarily to finishing tecniques. Here are some letters from two other signs that I made. The blue and green letter is from a Bathroom sign, and the red and orange are from a Police sign. Painting, sculpting, and texturizing makes the difference. Without those, you might as well make a 2-dimensional sign.



This is another sign that I made. It's based directly on the Frightworld logo.







The letters were cut out of foam using what is essentially a spiral blade. I then painted a white texturized latex base, then a base coat of yellow. I then faded the green in. It's entirely blacklight responsive. It was gorilla-glued to the wood backing.




Those are all industry tricks, so SHHHHH!!!!
And those tricks I will let you use in your work!
See you space cowboy........

No comments:

Post a Comment