Who Am I?

My photo
I'm a designer of different types. I am a Metalsmithing major with a Photography and Graphic Design background. I also design haunted houses and props for America's Screampark, Frightworld. I play bass in a band called Thrown to the Wolves, too.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

What's Left?

Well, there's not way too much left on the leather mask. After learning and getting comfortable with filigree, the rest is all a breeze.

But there's some basic fabrication left.

Here are some sketches of the eye. There's three



The eye will have a hollow-formed piece coming off of it. Actually, the hollow form is built. It's just not on yet. As seen in the two smaller sketches, the filigree will climb, like the vines it resembles, from the eye to the external portion.

Here's a close-up:


As can be seen in the close-up, there is really no lense to this piece. The filigree covers the viewing area, causing a filigree screen. I'm trying to go reasonably traditional as far as technique goes on this piece, so acrylic or resin lenses won't really do.

The filigree will also climb on the inside of the eye.

Now, a HUGE problem I have whenever I work on a mask is the method of adornment. It seems that I always just assume that straps will be used, but that's not necissarily the case. Since this piece was designed based on Cirque du Soleil masks, I decided to go with a masquerade technique and use a handle. Much like The Contemporary Shaman Mask of the Healer. However, this time around it will transition much better with the mask and the concept of the piece. Take a look.




Like the forehead of the mask, three tubes will extend from the right side of the mask (I am a righty, after all) and lead to a larger copper tube. The connections will look very industrial, as is the purpose of the copper in the mask. Going down the handle, there will be filigree climbing. It will then extend into the mask. There's some other ideas that I'm tossing around, but I don't really know. I was thinking of using a chain to connect a bracelet to the handle. The bracelet would clasp on the wearer, and would incorporate both the copper and the filigree.


This piece in idea and design has greatly evolved. I decided to change the perspective name (like I usually do half a dozen times) and call it the Contemporary Shaman Mask of the Apocolypse. What I find interesting is that, from the side, the mask is starting to look like an industrial landscape that has been taken over by silver vines. I'm running with that.








See you space cowboy....

No comments:

Post a Comment