Who Am I?

My photo
I'm a designer of different types. I am a Metalsmithing major with a Photography and Graphic Design background. I also design haunted houses and props for America's Screampark, Frightworld. I play bass in a band called Thrown to the Wolves, too.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Progress on the Mask

Well I've been working very hard on the leather mask. The hardest part has been the fine silver filigree. Yes, filigree. True filigree, too. No solder here! So here's some pictures from the past few days of work. Please keep something in mind when viewing these photos: The leather is not fully finished, and neither is ANY of the metal. Polishing, sanding, shining, and patinas still need to be applied.


Day 1:
This is the first day of work on the mask. I formed the leather using an old European traditional method (I may go into that in a later post...Or I may be greedy and keep it a secret. Who knows?)


Day 2:

This is day two of the work on the mask. I started working on the fine silver filigree, and figuring out its connections to the mask. The filigree is held on by fine silver nuts and bolts that go through part of the filigree. It just takes a little planning ahead.


Day 3:
This is the third day of work. I added some more filigree and applied some copper tubing with filigree on it for the purpose of the industrial vs natural message of the mask.





Day 4:
On day four of the work on this mask, I attacked the cyborg eye. This has been the part I have been fearing the most. Soldering filigree to small copper tubes is fairly simple, but large pieces of copper with overflowing filigree is a different animal all together.


After a several hour nap, I then went back to work, with more filigree coming off of the eye to the top. More filigree will be done within the next day or two around the eye.








See you space cowboy....

No comments:

Post a Comment