Who Am I?

My photo
I'm a designer of different types. I am a Metalsmithing major with a Photography and Graphic Design background. I also design haunted houses and props for America's Screampark, Frightworld. I play bass in a band called Thrown to the Wolves, too.

Friday, November 27, 2009

Mask: Complete

Well, after much much MUCH work on my mask, it is complete.



I only did the front mask as it seemed to promote the original concept without the necissity of the top mask. I may still make it, though, since I did like the design, and the molding is already complete.



So here's some pictures of the mask, and the process in which it was produced.



The original first design was scrapped for the second design. It was then molded with the copper eye in place.

It was cast in resin with the eye in place, then was (sadly) painted. I then removed the paint because it looked so bad to show the resin below. I then fabricated the forehead from copper, and filled it in with resin. I then fabricated the copper along the cheek and to the side of the chin.

I then fabricated the handle for the mask from copper, with a domed brass end to reflect the brass screws and bolts used for stability, structure, and accent. I used a peel-type embossing method to emboss the spiral on the handle, and also etched it with a motif held common throughout all of the copper on the mask.
Explanation of the Piece:
This piece is my attempt of blending my two primary disciplines: Anthropology and Metalsmithing. The mask is supposed to be similar to those used by shaman to tell stories and to perform rituals of healing. The mask itself is called "The Contemporary Shaman Mask of the Healer" because of its significance. It represents the mask that would be adorned by what is considered to be a healer in contemporary western cultures: the doctor. The robotic forms and designs shows the modern dependence on technology and science for healing. It's often perceived in western culture that if science and technology can't cure it, it's incurable. However, science and technology did not exist at these levels for hundreds of thousands of years, and humans managed to survive to be the most world-altering species on the planet. In other words, the science we depend so heavily on is not the only manner of healing available, but we rely 100% upon it. We also push it on others. The handle itself makes a statement on the so-called "healers" of modern days. The handle is long, and requires an absolute upright posture to wear the mask. In this pose, a person would seem to be puting themselves in a prideful, god-like posture. This represents the god complex displayed by many doctors. The massive grin has wide lips, which is a motif standard to all shaman masks, but the massive grin represents the fake smiles and joy that doctors act out to patients as they treat each patient as a mere number (the average doctor/patient interaction is less than 5 minutes).


Here's the original sculp of the second mask.






So there you go. I'm happy with the piece. It seemed to pull in my steampunk aesthetics accidently, as well. Can't argue with that!












See you space cowboy.......

No comments:

Post a Comment